Welcome

Welcome to my blog. This is a journal(mostly) about my wine-making efforts and taking it public.

I'm a private person, I don't like letting people in. I hate facebooks, I hate twits. Myspace makes me sick. But I'll make this blog, because I'm just that passionate about my art, my wine-making.

The goal is to take Berger's Fermenting Barrels commercial, and this blog will document my journey...for potential investors, other entrepeneurs, for future customers curious about the company.

Please look around, check out my posts. Comment or just say hello. Thank me for the wine, tell me just how great it was. Think you can help me out somehow? Have a contact in the biz, offer me your labor or creativity? I'm fundless at the moment... but I can reward you with wine, or I can keep you in mind in the future. I never forget a favor!

Want to email me privately? Contact me at cawineartist@gmail.com

Bottoms Up,

Jason Berger, Wine Artist

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Adding a Foot-Pedal to an Inexpensive TIG welder

About 9 months ago I bought a Chicago Electric 240 Volt Inverter Arc/TIG Welder with Digital Readout, item#98233 from Harbor Freight.  I didn't realize it when I bought the welder, but it is not possible to simply buy a foot pedal separately and plug it in.  I had bought a $75 foot pedal online, and found that while the outlet on the welder had 2 prongs, the pedal's plug had 7.  No matter how hard I pushed, the two would just not connect.

So I dug in.  I'm not embarrassed to say I didn't know much about electronics, just the basics of which I retained from my Welding classes-- AC/DC, Amps-Volts-Watts, and not touch anything with a current going through it.  So I bought some electronics for dummies books, a starter electronics kit, and got to learning.  After a few months of gaining confidence and learning the vocabulary, I searched online for any instructions on how to add a foot pedal to this particular welder, but found very little on the subject, of which was scattered and confusing.  I managed to make some sense of it, and with my newfound background on electronics I made some figures of how to accomplish my goal.

After weeks of looking for the parts I needed online and getting them delivered, I crossed my fingers, opened the welder's cover, and started cutting wires.

My first attempt was promising.  The connections were good, the pedal worked, and when I took it outside to try it, I got some heat.  However, the max amps had dived from 160A to 60A.  It would have worked for me as I'm only working on thin sheet-metal, but I wanted it better! So took it in and tried again.

My beloved Welder
I switched my 22 ga. tinned-copper wires with 18 ga. bare-copper wires, and tried that out.  Didn't work.  After some deductive reasoning, I then switched out the foot-pedal wiring with the 18 ga wires.  It brought the Amps up to 90... for the first 10 seconds, and I lost it.  Testing it with the pedal cover open, I noticed the sliding potentiometer in the pedal was sparking... it couldn't handle the current!  I wanted to get it done so I searched all the electronic shops nearby (Fry's, Radioshack, MarVac), and NONE of them have sliding potentiometers!! I finally found one 45 minutes away, a pot meant for Arduino models.

It works.  The welder now goes up to 150 Amps, and I can switch the welder between foot-controlled and torch-controlled.  If I could find a sliding pot that is not connected to a board and I can verify its Wattage capability, I'm sure I could get that number up...but I'm quite satisfied with 150A out of 160A.

During my frustrating hours, I promised myself that if I could get the welder to work, in gratitude I would post instructions on how to add the foot-pedal online, something people could understand.  So look at my page links to the left to find detailed instructions and diagrams of adding a foot-pedal to the Harbor Freight TIG Welder.



No comments:

Post a Comment